Over the years I have been my own biggest guinea pig for my various experiments and concoctions and theories. And so have hundreds of willing clients and friends and even some strangers!
You can read all the books and articles and studies and stay up with the latest research but you have, undoubtedly, realized that everyone says something different and knowing what you should or shouldn’t take is a total rabbit hole.
So I’m going to share with you the benefits of over 30 years of my research and experimentation and save you a whole lot of time, frustration, and money.
We are addressing cellular energy because vitality is at the foundation of everything!
I cannot tell you how many clients have come in saying they want to discover and live their purpose. And my first question is this: “Do you have enough energy to get through your day? And, even more importantly, do you have energy left over at the end of your day?”
How can you possibly live your purpose if you don’t have energy for it? How can you improve relationships, work harder to accomplish your goals, exercise more, if you don’t have ample vitality?!
Quality of energy is just as important as quantity. A caffeine high can also make you snappy and irritable. So, sure, you have a lot energy but you’re a bitch to be around so how does that enhance the quality of your life?
And willfulness will only get you so far. Many people think of themselves as lazy or just needing to find their passion to have the motivation they seek. But more often than not the real issue is a lack of energy. PHYSICAL energy. Yep, I’m talking about the body.
And most of the supplements people take are not addressing the way the body functions!
Think of it this way – you can put exquisite quality high-octane gas and the best oil in a car but if the spark plugs aren’t firing you aren’t going to go anywhere then think the gas and oil aren’t doing anything.
Most people are surprisingly unaware of how the body actually works. And it’s easy to understand why – we are given either conflicting info, bad info, or deficient info. And much of the info isn’t addressing the real foundation – the most basic, essential level of our physiological needs.
You get energy from your cells.
They are the tiny little engines that drive the whole of you. And if your cells aren’t getting what they need at every stage of the process to convert the food you eat into fuel (called ATP), then you simply won’t feel as good as you should and you certainly won’t have the energy you should from all the good food and supplements you take!
I can’t tell you how many times I have heard people say in a perplexed tone “I eat great and take a ton of supplements and it doesn’t seem to matter!”
There are a number of steps that have to happen and a number of things that have to work at each step in order for your cells to produce the energy that will actually make you feel vital.
I will attempt to break it down for you in overly simplistic terms because it is a gloriously complex chain and so much happens!
1) The food you eat has to be not only nutritious, but it has to be broken down small enough to fit inside of a cell. Do you know how TINY a cell is? This means you need plenty of
- Stomach acid
- Probiotics (friendly bacteria)
2) Once in the bloodstream the food needs to be able to get to the cell and to be utilized by the cell. This means you need all kinds of minerals and the right electrical charge to your blood so everything flows and can be taken-up by the cell.
3) To convert food to fuel there are 5 steps that have to happen inside the cell and each of these steps require specific nutrients and specific co-factors to activate those nutrients or they simply can’t do their job. And if anything is missing at any stage, your cell simply can’t produce the ATP, or cellular fuel, that will give you energy, no matter how well you eat!
As we age, the production of many of the nutrients the cell needs decline so we must supplement them. And this is where so much confusion happens.
Most people are taking supplements that do not address this cellular level of energy and are, essentially, throwing their money down the drain. Now I’m not saying it’s not helpful, but I am saying it’s not as efficient as it could be.
The first thing you MUST do is to optimize your digestion. And rather than take a ton of pills, I suggest two things:
1) Vitamineral Greens powder that has a great spectrum of very powerful probiotics (you need a wide variety as each strain populates different areas of the gut, from mouth to rectum) Start with a teaspoon and work your way up to two heaping tablespoons per day. Start slowly or you can have an embarrassing amount of diarrhea – the probiotics are that strong. Vitamineral Greens also gives you enzymes and loads of nutrients your cells will love. I love this brand and I love the results it gives. (It can take up to two years to repair the gut lining and to get the digestive process back on track – if you’ve ever taken antibiotics and not followed it with an intensive course of probiotics then I can virtually guarantee your digestion is compromised)
2) Fermented foods like sauerkraut, kimchi, kombucha, etc.
Now we get into the actual cellular energy protocol. This will seem like a lot of pills, and it is. I highly recommend Swanson Vitamins online to purchase. And you can buy their brand when available and know you are getting a great quality at unbeatable prices. (I have no affiliation with them other than being an enthusiastic customer)
There are 5 steps to convert food to fuel that happen within the cell and each step requires a very particular nutrient. You need:
- Acetyl L-Carnitine
- Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA)
And to make sure that the above is activated, you also need some cofactors as well as specific antioxidants to compensate for the oxidation that happens as these nutrients are used. You need:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin E
Being that most people are not absorbing nutrients fully from the gut due to a weakness in the digestive chain (either stomach acid, enzymes, bile, or probiotics) and given that even organic foods can’t supply enough of the essentials for cellular energy (like COQ10 and the carnitines and b-complex and ALA) it is essential that we supplement.
Here is a simplified version of my own protocol that I have recommended to friends with great success:
Whenever you need energy, first thing in morning, afternoon boost, or just before exercise:
- NADH sublingual 5 or 10 mg
Morning and night on an empty stomach:
- ATP – 1
- Carnitine – 500 – 1000mg
- Acetyl L carnitine 500 – 1000mg
- 7-keto DHEA – 50 mg
- Magnesium – 400mg (find a magnesium complex, something that has at least 4 different kinds of magnesium and avoid brands that add magnesium oxide as the oxide is worthless)
At breakfast or lunch:
- B complex – Vitamin Code Raw B complex – 2-3 pills
- ALA – 50 mg
- Co Q10 – 100mg (use the COQ10 called Ubiquinol as the body prefers this)
- Vit. C – 2000mg
So you are taking something 3x’s a day. I highly recommend three big pill boxes that hold a week’s worth of pills. I take about 10 minutes once per week to fill my boxes and it’s super easy.
This protocol should be safe for everyone. The DHEA I recommend is 7-keto which is not converted to any hormones so even people with hormone sensitive cancers can take it.
With this protocol, not only will your energy improve but it can have very positive impacts on depression, inflammation, and sleep.
This should be the foundational supplement program for anyone over the age of 35. Then you can add specifics to address any other imbalance you might have – like SAM-e for depression, pregnenolone for anti-aging and hormone balance, melatonin for sleep and regulating hormone system, etc.
This protocol should be accompanied by eating the healthiest foods you can afford.
The science behind this protocol is vast and sound. I am a huge believer in cellular energy for optimal functioning and dubious of protocols that do not first address this most crucial aspect of health. When your cells are happy, everything functions better, everything you take can get used more efficiently, and you will have the energy you need to feel like a healthy, vital person should.
Lack of cellular energy is indicated in virtually every single condition of imbalance in the body, from fatigue to depression, inflammation to skin issues, poor performance to looking and feeling old, and even hormonal imbalances. And if cellular energy is not addressed you are going to find yourself frustrated going from practitioner to practitioner trying to get the results you seek with little pay-off.
Give this protocol at least 6 weeks to work. Many of you will notice improvements right away. But you didn’t get tired overnight and getting your energy built up will take time. The more imbalanced you are, i.e. the more health issues you have or the more severe they are, the longer you should give the protocol to work before you expect to see changes.
Also, if you add 2-4 TB per day of coconut oil (work your way up), you will be giving your cells some good jet fuel to get an immediate boost of energy. (Like within 30-60 minutes!)
This protocol will likely make you warm. That’s because you are increasing cellular metabolism, making more ENERGY! And yes, it will help with weight loss/maintenance. And no, the coconut oil won’t make you fat or clog your arteries. In fact, the opposite will happen.
You can expect to look and feel better. You can expect to be more productive, laugh more, and be more fun to be around. And you can expect to sleep better and feel more like YOU.
I hope you give it a try. And please let me know how you feel!
(I just saved you anywhere from $200-$2,000 by giving this to you – you can thank me later!)